Skip to main content

Milestones in Fell's Point's History


  • 1670
    Area first identified as Long Island Point
  • 1702
    William Cole buys 550 acres on the Inner Harbor
  • 1726
    English Quaker, William Fell, bought land he named "Fell's Prospect". The land was also known as "Long Island Point" and "Copus Harbor"
  • 1763
    The town, "Fell's Point" was founded
  • 1765
    Robert Long House, Baltimore's oldest surviving residence
  • 1772
    The London Coffee House, Bond & Thames Sts., believed to be the only existing pre-revolutionary War coffee house in the US
  • 1773
    Fell's Point incorporated into Baltimore Town
  • 1775
    Fell's Point Ship Yard produced the first frigate of the Continental Navy, the Virginia
  • 1784
    Broadway Market established
  • 1787
    The George Wells House, Bond & Thames Sts.
  • 1797
    Fell's Point Ship Yard produces the Constellation
  • 1826
    Frederick Douglass, the famous slave, came to Fell's Point, where he stayed until he escaped to the North and Freedom in 1838
  • 1829
    First public schools in the neighborhood open
  • 1859
    Baltimore's first horse-drawn streetcar line, beginning and ending at 1724-26 Thames St.
  • 1869
    Isaac Myers began the nation's first African American-owned maritime railway in Fell's Point
  • 1700s
    & 1800s
    Many of the residences, commercial and light industrial buildings in the Fell's Point Historic District were built during this period
  • 1914
    City Recreation Pier opens
  • 1960
    Baltimore announced plans to build its East-West Expressway along the Fell's Point waterfront
  • 1969
    Fell's Point was designated Maryland's first National Historic District
  • 1978
    Baltimore abandoned plans to build the East-West Expressway through Fell's Point
  • 1987
    "Tin Men," a movie based on true stores and experiences of the form stone salesmen in Baltimore, was shot in Fell's Point
  • 1992-
    2001
    The NBC television series, "Homicide--Life on the Street" set in Fell's Point in the City Pier and the Waterfront Hotel Restaurant.


Sign near Broadway Pier

Reinactors
Reinactors parading through one
of the residential streets in Fell's Point


Frederick Douglass Park & Marine Railway - Thames & Philpot Sts.


Scene at the Fell's Point Festival, 2002

Historic Maps of Fell's Point

  • 1773

    Map from 1773 plat, courtesy of Bob Eney. Note that in these early maps, the land mass of Fell's Point is much smaller. The area which is now "Harbor Point" is 2 tiny east-west streets. The lower 3 blocks of Wolf St. are next to the water. Many of the street names are different: Broadway was Market St. Eastern was Wilks. Part of Thames St. was named Fells St. and George St. Fell St. was Pitt St.
  • 1792

    Portion of a map titled "Plan of the town of Baltimore and it's [sic] environs", published 1792. Library of Congress. The details of this map are similar to the 1773 plat, except that the 1773 map shows Wolf St. extending all the way to Pitt St., whereas this map shows an inlet at Lancaster Alley extending almost to Ann St.
  • 1800

    "Robt. L. Eney's Plan of the Town and Environs of Fell's Point as it was in 1800, with views of some Priminent Buidings, still standing, & which may be used as a foot guide to this Historic District. Respectfully dedicated to the Citizens thereof, 1981."
  • 1804

    Portion of a map titled "Improved plan of the city of Baltimore", published 1804. Library of Congress.
  • 1822

    Portion of a map titled "This plan of the city of Baltimore", published 1822. Library of Congress. In this map, the west of Bond Street and just south of Lancaster has been filled in, and the Falls flows into a much smaller body of water known as City Dock. Thames St. extends all the way to Ann St. Fells St. and George St. are gone, and Pitt St. is now Fell St. The inlet blocking Wolf St. is gone and Wolf extends all the way to Fell St.
  • 1851

    Portion of a map titled "Plan of the city of Baltimore, Maryland", published 1851. Library of Congress. In this map, areas along the water are continuing to be built up and the street names are evolving.
  • 1877

    "1877 Hopkins Map". Source: uncertain. This map is similar to other maps of this period, but with railroad lines and wharves prominently marked.
  • 1865

    Area around the Inner Harbor and Fell's Point, 1965. Source: "A New and Greater Downtown Baltimore forges AHEAD", Progress Report/Committee for Downtown, Inc. 1965. Courtesy of Ed Kane. This map was prepared just prior to the "Road War". Note that the map shows what is now Harbor East near Fell's Point as an "area of structural and functional decay" and shows the planned east-west highway going through Fell's Point and Federal Hill to link I83 and I95 to the east and west of the city.

    Subscribe to our monthly newsletter